As moms we often tend to get so busy and exhausted that it is so easy to forget things. Many moms and women have forgotten to turn off the stove or forgotten that they were even busy making dinner. This can happen to anyone, but the key is to know how to put out a fire that resulted from a pot that was left on the stove.
Here are some tips:
- Cover the flames with a metal lid. Leave the cover on until it has cooled
- Turn off the heat source
- If it’s small and manageable, pour baking soda or salt on it to smother the fire.
- Do not attempt to move the pot or pan outside
- Do not use flour, baking powder or other cooking powders that resemble baking soda os salt. They have a different chemical makeup and will not react similarly. They will make the fire worse
What to do if you cannot put out the fire:
- GET OUT! You and your family members need to leave as soon as you can to prevent injury or loss of life. Do not try to be a hero.
- Call the fire brigade as soon as you are at a safe distance from the fire
- Do not re-enter your home until the fire has been contained by firefighters