Should I breastfeed? Have you ever wondered about the importance of breastfeeding?
A mother's decision to breastfeed or not is a personal decision but do draw opinions from friends and family. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists strongly recommend breastfeeding your baby exclusively for six months.
Here are the benefits of breastfeeding:
- It provides babies with the necessary nutrients for healthy growth and development
- It provides more than half of a child's energy needs between the ages of six and 12 months and a third of their energy needs between 12 and 24 months
- It promotes cognitive development in children
- It contains antioxidants, enzymes and antibodies that protects children from diseases
- It protects children from chronic and infectious diseases, viruses and bacteria
- It reduces the baby's risk of asthma, cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes